Monday, June 8, 2015

Memories Monday: Our Love Story

I have wanted to tell our love story for, well 6 years now. :)
 I just never did it, so now with the help of journals and my memory I'll give it a try.
Josh and I met for the very first time on February, 8, 2004.
It was the day our family went to the home school group that Josh's family went to, for the very first time.
The only thing I remember about Josh from that day was his hair. :) 
Never had I seen such awesome, red hair before! I must say, I fell in love with his hair before I fell in love with him. :)
From that day on our families became really good friends, not only would we get together with the homeschool group, we also got together as families and then shortly after that us kids would get together. The oldest 4 from each family.
This went on for the next 4 years.
We had a blast together, my brother and Josh were the same age and both sons of farmers so they got along well. And us 5 girls just hit it off!
So many, many memories were made playing football, soccer, kick the can, racing our cars, playing dutch blitz and the farming game, but most often just visiting. We had great conversations that went on and on and on. But there was never anything special going between the 2 of us, we were just friends.
During this time I went to Kentucky to help at an orphanage for 6 months. I kept in touch with Josh's sisters during this time.
When I got back in May of 2008 it didn't take long for the Pauls' kids to come over.
10 days to be exact. :)
It was wonderful to see them again! Josh had bought a bright yellow truck while I was gone. :)
Over the next few months life went back to normal, we got together whenever the farm work would allow us to.
I was also making plans to return to Kentucky in the Fall for a longer amount of time this time. I had bought my plane ticket and plans were well under way to leave in October of 2008.
Little did I know that my plans were about to change!
That Summer our family headed to a local stampede, the plans were to meet up with the Pauls' family when we got there. Josh texted my Dad before we got there to see where we were at. My Dad, not being a texting person, gave me the phone so I could reply, and so the damage was done! :) We haven't stopped texting since!
And you can ask our families, I'm pretty sure each of them got a little anointed at us for how much time we sent on our phones. :)
We had a blast that evening, it was the first time that I got to hang out with Josh and not have my brother get in the way. :) He was hanging out with some other friends. For some reason Josh, Kerri, Jesse and I stuck together and we enjoyed our evening!
When it was over our families left together and my little brother who was 5 at the time said, I think Josh and Rebecca should get married. I don't know where he got that idea, but something was going on in that little head of his!
Josh and I texted all the way home and then everyday after that. My Uncle had given me a cell phone for when I went back to Kentucky, which was really nice! :)
But it didn't take long and i bought one for myself, with a plan that had unlimited texting. :)
We talked to about a lot of things, but only as friends, until 3 days later...
I had gone to bed July, 29, 2008.
Josh had been texting me for a few hours already, but this time our conversation took a different turn.
Josh asked me if I liked anyone, I said, no. I asked him if he liked anyone, he said that he would like me, but I was going away forever. :)
Well needless to say this caught my attention! I did a quick run through in my head of the list I had made of things I wanted in a husband, and he pretty much covered it all, plus the red hair was a big bonus! :) 
After that things went quickly, to make a long story short in the next 3 hours our lives changed dramatically! 
We were both pretty shocked that things were moving in this direction, we had never really thought about having a serious relationship before, but were both ready to give it a try. Josh talked me out of going back to Kentucky, which wasn't easy I'm sure. :) But he did it. We decided that it would be best if we both talked to our parents, to see what they thought about this new development.
When I told my parents the next day, they were both very happy about the idea, I think they were glad that I would be staying at home and of course they were happy for me. :)
I think Josh's side of the story was pretty much the same, because by that evening we had decided that whenever Josh would have time to get away next he would come over and talk to my Dad.
Im not sure, but some how he managed to get away the next evening, July, 31 in the middle of Summer on a sunny day! :) 
We hadn't told our siblings yet so to them this was just another get together. We played some football and soccer, then got a fire going. While doing that Josh and I had 2 mins to ourselves while my brother went to get something from the house. The conversation we had during that time must of been funny for anyone on the outside to hear! 
It went something like this, so the way I see it, if we do this then we are planning to get married someday, is that something that you want to do? I guess so. :)
And that was that! 
After all sitting around the fire for awhile Josh went in with my parents to have "the talk". Us girls stayed outside watching the stars and talking. After awhile his sisters began to worry that they would be in trouble for getting home late. So we went inside, which I had just been itching to do already, it seemed like Josh had passed my Dads inspection because shortly after we got in he asked my Dad if he could court me and Dad said yes!!! 
My life changed forever!
And then they went home.
I don't think that they got in trouble. :)
All I know is it took a very long time for me to fall asleep that night, and for many nights after that! My life had changed drastically in just 48 hours and it was super exciting!!!
We decided that we would take turns at each others places on Sundays, going to church and then hanging out with the family.
It was great! I had never had a boyfriend before, and it was a lot of fun! 
17 days after Josh asked my Dad if he could court me, he once again had a question for my Dad. Josh had come over in the morning and joined my family for church. We then all came home for lunch, and a relaxing afternoon, although it might not have been for Josh. :)
That evening we had a family gathering where all my Aunts, Uncles and cousins met Josh for the first time. They all seemed to like him, but were surprised at how quickly things had happened. 
Later that evening I asked my parents if Josh and I could go for a walk. They said we could and off we went. 
We hadn't gone far when Josh popped the question, and it went something like this; so you whanna get married? Are you really asking me? Yup, do you want me to get down on my knee? No, thats ok, and yes, Ill marry you!
And we never missed a step! :)
We decided to go get a ring on the next rainy day. :)
Our engagement lasted 6 months and 11 days.
We got married on February, 28, 2009
I would have gotten married much sooner, but when you marry a farmer, you wait till he has time. :)
Plus we got an amazing wedding gift from Josh's parents, a honeymoon to Israel, so had to wait till then anyway.
And the rest is history!
I still wake up some mornings and wonder why God decided to make me the luckiest girl ever and send this wonderful man into my life.
I am so in love with Josh, and so thankful for parents that have been and are still guiding us on our journey, for the amazing families that we have, for the 3 wonderful kids that we are blessed with and that God allowed our paths to cross.
I also have to say that I am so thankful I saved my heart and my body for Josh. To keep yourselves pure is not an easy thing, but it is so worth it! The end reward is amazing!
I love you Babe! And couldn't imagine my life with anyone else!!!
XOXOXOXO

Our engagement pictures. 
Thanks Megan!


The Summer we were courting we sent a lot of hours helping tear down an old house on the yard.


A Sunday afternoon with the family.


Getting close to our wedding.


The best day of my life!


I just him.


A lot!




2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love this story. And I love you.
I am SO glad that Josh picked you, because I could not imagine having a better big sis!!

Maggie Mayo said...

Thank you for sharing your story...it is always a blessing to see how God leads two people together! Sweet...<3
And thank you for your testimony of saving your everything for the ONE that God had for you! It is an encouragement to me as a young lady and I know it is to others as well! :)
Thank you for sharing!
Many Blessings~
Maggie Mayo