Thursday, August 23, 2012

Canning Season




 
Well it's that time of year again, bringing in and storing away the gifts that God has given us. I especially like this time of year because it reminds me of how much God has blessed us with!
I usually freeze my apples but I still had enough from last year so this year I made apple pie filling, sauce and juice. I had never done any of these after we got married, it was a lot of fun and I so enjoy seeing my pantry filling up!
 
 
First we picked the apples, of which I don't have any pictures, but thank you Jen for your help!!
 
 
 
 
Then comes washing the apples.
 
 
 
Makayla helping/eating. :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Peeling, coring and slicing the apples. Andrew so wanted to help with part but he wasn't quite big enough, next year might not even get a turn. :)
 
 
 
 
Cooking the apples.
 
 



Cooking the sauce.



Then you mix it all together, can and it's ready to be used in pie!


 
 
Apple sauce has the same process, only I cut the apples finer.
 
 
 


The next morning we got an early start with the apples for juice.
 
 
 
More washing.
 
 
 
 
 
And then lots of slicing.
 
 
 

 After they were sitting in water all day and after all the daily work was done, making food, bringing it to the field, washing dishes, bringing kids home, putting kids to bed and milking the cows (Kerri and I run the fort while everyone else is out in the field) I asked Kerrie if she would mind helping me with the juice, Kerri being the sweetheart that she is said sure, so I brought the apples over and we got busy again.


 
 
 
 We cooked the apples and water, strained them and added sugar.

 
 
Then the jars went in the canner and it was all done!
 

 
 
 
 
 



Thank you Kerri!!!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca-

You are such the wife and mother! You amaze me, really do you ever sit? :) I love seeing the littles always in the middle of your projects too! Always making memories -lifes to short not to-!

Love you,
Liz

p.s. Thank you for your prayers!

The Pauls' Family said...

Your welcome Becky!:)
Thankyou for all the help you have been giving us with our canning!
Your a blessing :)
Love you!
<3KerKer

Laura said...

Always love your pictures!!! OK, now I need an apple juice lesson, really I do!

I need to get with you soon on this, cause well be making apple sauce in the next few weeks...so maybe I'll try my hand at juice too.

Love to you all!
Laura

Rose said...

What kind of apples are those in the pictures? They look really good!